High in Colorado

High in Colorado
Photo: Mandy Lea Photo

Monday, January 9, 2017

Longs Peak Project (August) -- Ship's Prow Port Side



August 14th—Up via Ship’s Prow Port Side/Clark’s Arrow, down via Loft

Car-to-car time: 5 hours 59 minutes

Sort of an obscure route, but a pretty easy hike, overall. Basically, just head up like you’re doing the Loft and keep an eye out for an obvious ramp heading up across the Ship’s Prow (on climber’s right side of Loft Couloir). The ramp maybe has a few hard 3rd class moves on it, but is pretty mellow. Once off the ramp it’s an easy 2nd class ascent on some boulders before traversing under a slabby section of rocks. After the slabs I eventually fired straight up a gully with a short 4th class crux. From here, it was pretty smooth sailing to the Loft. The rest of the ascent was cruise control on the Clark’s Arrow route.

I descended the Loft/Clark’s Arrow route. On my way down I ran into a couple of idiots from Jersey who decided they were going to “climb” Longs Peak barefoot on their first day here from sea level. Needless to say, their feet got raw and bloody and then they had to hike in clunky boots the rest of the day. They looked like death. The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. I mostly hike the descent until I got back down to the Chasm Lake area.

I’d post more photos, but they’re all on my phone that broke. Maybe if I can salvage the data from the phone I’ll post them later. 
The ramp cutting across the Ship's Prow

No comments:

Post a Comment