High in Colorado

High in Colorado
Photo: Mandy Lea Photo

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sightseeing Around Cuzco and First Group Run


I don’t really have too many witty or insightful comments or things to say about Cuzco. So this is primarily a photo post showing some of the sights in and around Cuzco. 

On my first day in Cuzco (before I started drinking), I decided to go look around a few of the Catholic churches. One of my rules of travel is to never pass by a church without going inside because the most unassuming church on the outside could be the most lavish church on the inside. Most of the churches, as well as other sites throughout Peru, do not allow photography. However, I was sneaky with my camera and got a few photos of Colegio la Merced. 

Colegio la Merced

Colegio la Merced

Colegio la Merced

Colegio la Merced

Catedral de Santo Domingo
 
I met with the running group on my second day in Cuzco. They had all just arrived from sea level and were adjusting to the altitude. After lunch, we joined our guide, Abelardo, on a short walk around some of the squares in the city and eventually made our way to the main market place. 
People Dancing and Singing in Traditional Clothing

Arco de Santa Clara

Plazoleta San Pedro

Pig Head in Mercado Central de San Pedro

Flowers in the Same Market

Abelardo took us for a walk around Cuzco on my third day there. This included a visit to the main Cathedral (which I had already seen on my first day in town), Qorikancha (the most important temple of the Inca Empire), and the Santo Domingo Monastery.
Plaza de Armas in the Morning

One of the Many Stray Dogs in Peru

Qorikancha 

Walking Around Cuzco

An Inca Stone Wall

The fourth day in Cuzco was pretty busy. I started the day with my sunrise run to Cristo Blanco and a nice breakfast upon return to the hotel. The group then headed to the fortress and temple of Sacsayhuaman (sounds like “sexy woman”), Kenko, and Puca Pucara.
Arriving at Sacsayhuaman

Sacsayhuaman with Cristo Blanco in the Distance

Me and Sacsayhuaman

More Sacsayhuaman

Still at Sacsayhuaman. The Rocks Above My Head Look Like a Tiger Paw.

Still Sacsayhuaman.

After sightseeing, we drove a little farther outside of the city of Cuzco to where we would be starting our first group run of the trip, a short 4.5 mile run through the village of Yuncaypata entering Cuzco through the San Blas and finishing at the Plaza de Armas just in time for lunch. 
This is Where We Started Our Run to Cuzco.

Looking Back Up After Running Down for A While.

No comments:

Post a Comment